English Pastor - Maternity Leave Contract Position
Sault Ste. Marie ON, Canada
Sep 27, 2019 1 Year Appointment PAOC Credentials Required
Lifespring Church is a church in Sault Ste. Marie Ontario, a community of 75,000 people located 3.5 hours west of Sudbury. We hold both English and Finnish services, with an average combined Sunday morning attendance of 50 people. Lifespring Church began in 1939 as a prayer meeting and grew over time to build a lively church in Sault Ste. Marie. The population of Finnish Canadians, many who had had recently arrived in the Sault, formed the backbone of this congregation for many years. Lifespring is now a church of many people, backgrounds and ages. Above all, we still exist to serve Jesus and reach our community — and we are excited for all God has in store in the future. We exist to worship Jesus and make disciples, reaching the world with the good news of Jesus Christ. We do this through authentic worship, consistent service, regular outreach and real community.
Job Title and Hiring Timeline
We are currently seeking a contract position for an English Pastor (Maternity Leave Contract) for an 11-month period. This position will run from January 2020 to November 2020.
Pastoral Dynamic and Expectations
The pastor of Lifespring Church has the following responsibilities with the help and support of the church board, together with all others who have responsibilities assigned by the church board:
- The tending, teaching, and preaching of the Word The care of souls Visitation of the sick and elderly
- Giving guidance and aid to those who have growth cold in the faith or fallen away
- Oversee the organization and teaching of Children and Youth ministries
- Direct outreach evangelism
- See that all things are done in accordance with the district and fellowship guidelines.
Pastoral care of the Finnish-language congregants and the majority of the Finnish-language speaking duties will be handled by a retired Finnish minister who attends Lifespring. Regarding the Finnish-speaking congregants, the only expectation of the English Pastor is that they preach in the Finnish-language service once per month, with the aid of a translator.
- $3200/month for 30 hours/week of work
- Mileage for driving outside of typical work commute
- Payment of PAOC credential fees for one year
- 3 weeks of paid vacation time during the 11-month contract
- Travel, lodging and food expenses at Western Ontario District Conference in October 2020
As we are not able to provide a full-time salary or benefits, we recognize the fact the English Pastor will likely need to take on additional employment and support them in this. Receipt of additional grant funds may allow us to move this position to full-time or create a similar position that extends beyond the maternity leave timeline, but this is not certain at this time.
Additional Specifics for English Minister (Maternity Leave Contract) Competencies:
- Current PAOC credentials (Licensed Minister or Ordained Minister) or in the process of obtaining those credentials.
- Provide prayerful, inspiring and encouraging leadership to Lifespring Church in accordance with its vision, mission, and direction.
- Develop sermon series in advance of Sunday mornings
- Deliver Sunday morning sermons the majority of Sunday mornings
- Work with Creative Team Lead to plan and conduct Sunday morning worship services Once per month, deliver an English sermon with Finnish translation in the Finnish service
- Meet monthly with Elder Board Board of Directors English Pastor who is on maternity leave
- Oversee and continue to recruit, develop and implement teams such as Admin, Creative, Kids, Welcome and Prayer and their leaders Weekly Life Group ministry (such as Alpha or Bible studies)
- Monthly Team Nights in conjunction with the Creative Team Next Steps session with newcomers after service on Sunday mornings
- Lead and direct 1-3 seasonal community outreach events such as Easter Fun Day and Kids’ Camp
- Assist in hiring and directly oversee any students hired with Canada Summer Jobs Students grants in 2020.
Communications and Administration
- Working towards teams which oversee each of these areas and are overseen by the English pastor, ensure development and delivery of
- social media events, stories and posts (Instagram and Facebook at this time)
- website updates
- monthly print calendars
- supply of connect cards and giving envelopes
- graphics to promote sermon series and events
- Board agendas and minutes in conjunction with Chairman of the Board
- Ensure Kids’ Team is equipped with curriculum and supplies for Sunday kids’ ministry.
Character and Chemistry
- An engaging, inspiring, and trustworthy leader to continue a process of church revitalization
- Enthusiastic about working in a multi-language, multi-cultural setting.
- Grace-filled and winsome in conduct with all people, in both the church and the community
- Demonstrated capacity to maintain a respectful and engaging online presence
- Commitment to carry forward the current vision, mission, and direction of Lifespring Church as the current English pastor is on maternity leave.