ASSISTANT PASTOR OVER YOUTH/WORSHIP JOB DESCRIPTION:
Avonhurst Pentecostal Assembly
VISION OF AVONHURST: We are Disciples of Jesus making Disciples for Jesus.
VALUES OF AVONHURST: God’s Presence, God’s Word, Reaching Out with Love and Generosity, Genuine Jesus-centered Community, and Evangelism.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Date Prepared:
Assistant Pastor over Youth and Worship 03/07/17
STATUS: Full-time, Salaried
HOURS: The position is full time (40 hour work week), but that does not mean 40 hours in the office. A good majority of ministry happens outside of the office: building relationships with people, making connections in the community, etc. We would work out specific hours that I would expect you in the office so that you could attend staff meetings, connect with myself and the rest of the staff on how ministries are going, and get general administrative work accomplished. Your hours would be flexible as Youth ministry tends to most effectively be done beyond 4pm. My primary concern is not so much the hours that you are in the office but that the ministries you are responsible for are being taken care of. On top of Saturday you would be required to pick another day off.
Primary Purpose of Position:
Regarding Youth: To build young disciples of Jesus by developing and implementing a balanced and healthy youth ministry in the areas of worship, discipleship, fellowship, ministry, and evangelism while serving as a spiritual leader and role model.
Regarding Worship: To provide pastoral leadership to the worship ministries of Avonhurst Pentecostal Assembly. This position is a pastoral one that therefore requires the individual to serve not solely as a musical or performing arts director but also as a shepherd to the people who serve in this ministry.
Organizational Relationship and Supervision:
The Assistant Pastor of Youth and Worship reports to the Lead Pastor for spiritual and ministry guidance. Attendance at the following meetings is expected: Weekly Staff Meetings, Annual General Meetings, and Sunday morning gatherings/services.
Responsibilities as they relate to:
- Help plan, develop, and implement all aspects of a balanced and healthy youth ministry in the areas of worship, discipleship, fellowship, ministry, and evangelism.
- Run a weekly gathering for students that includes but is not limited to times of: worship, preaching, fun games, activities, etc.
- Maintain clear and effective communication with church staff and leadership, parents, and the congregation as a whole regarding student ministry events and activities.
- Mentor youth in developing their leadership and ministry skills.
- Love youth where they are.
- Encourage youth in developing their relationship with God.
- Provide students with opportunities for spiritual nurture and growth.
- Be aware of resources for developing the youth ministry programming and participate in continuing education events and training opportunities.
- Recruit and train volunteers who work with youth in all aspects of youth ministry and ensure adequate volunteer support and adult to youth ratios.
- Make yourself available to youth in a variety of ways (i.e. lunch at school, attendance at extracurricular activities, visitation, times of crisis, etc.)
- Help Avonhurst be a resource for not only students but the parents of students. Work with Pastors Brad and Jamie on ways our church can more effectively help families of teenagers.
- Ensure that the Child Protection Policy (Plan to Protect) is observed in all youth ministry settings.
- Keep records of youth participation and manage the youth ministry budget.
- Recruit and train volunteers in order to build the necessary teams to carry out the worship areas of Avonhurst.
- Plan the corporate worship services of Avonhurst in consultation with the Senior Pastor and do so with prayer, conceptual forethought, theological accuracy, and musical appropriateness. Ensure that all the musical and technical aspects of the service advance the theme for the day. Oversee song selection, media preparation and presentation, sound and lighting enhancements, and coordination of all instrumentalists, vocalists, and dramatists.
- Introduce our worship teams and tech/sound volunteers to worship training provided by other ministries, books, and conferences. Goal: 1 training session for musicians and tech teams per year.
- Organize and schedule all weekly rehearsals and services necessary to facilitate worship in our Sunday morning gatherings.
- Provide pastoral care for the worship teams.
- Find and plan other ways to use music and drama to reach out to the community evangelistically.
- Oversee the worship department budget, organization, and volunteers.
- Build contacts and relationships with local musicians, studios, etc for both evangelistic and staffing purposes.
- Set annual goals for the worship ministry that are in line with our vision and then evaluate how those goals were attained or modified during the year.
- Pastor Brad will need the pulpit on Sunday filled at least 3-5 times a year. Dates would be discussed and decided at staff meetings.
- Assist with creating promotional material for ministries you oversee at (Youth/Worship Departments) Avonhurst Pentecostal Assembly.
- Work in concert with the gifts and talents of other staff members and maintain a teamwork mentality.
- Use your gifting and efforts to support and champion the vision and mission of Avonhurst Pentecostal Assembly.